Tuesday 22 December 2015

Blogmas Day 22 | Festive Baking #2

I had a fun afternoon doing some festive baking. For blogmas day 4, I made gingerbread men which were really yummy and would make great homemade Christmas presents for your loved ones. Over the last couple of weeks each time my mum went shopping and spotted some Christmassy cake decorations, she bought them for me so today I finally decided to use them and baked some cupcakes with the help of my niece. 


For the cupcakes, I used a simple fairy cake/cupcake recipe and I topped them with buttercream. Here's what you'll need:

For the cake
100g self-raising flour
100g margarine 
100g caster sugar
2 medium eggs 
Don't forget to buy paper cases 

For the buttercream
100g icing sugar 
50g butter or margarine
(optional) flavourings
(optional) food colouring 
.... I used red food colouring for a few of mine :

& cake decorations! There are some lovely toppings available for Christmas

 
To begin with, set the oven to 180ÂșC / Gas Mark 4 and pre-heat whilst you are preparing your cake mixture. First, mix the butter and caster sugar together until you have a light and fluffy mixture. Then, slowly fold the egg and flour into the mixture by adding a little bit at a time and mixing until you have a creamy mixture. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and pop into the oven for 15 minutes. 

Once the cupcakes have been given time to cool, you can make the buttercream. Mix the icing sugar and butter/margarine together until it's creamy and add any flavourings or colourings you want. Now, it's time to decorate them. My favourite part! :) My niece also really enjoyed decorating her cupcakes and wanted to give them to her parents for Christmas. Whilst we were adding the toppings to our cakes, my other niece and nephew came over to give us all Christmas cards and so they joined in, too. 


How adorable is this little Christmas tray? It's from Home Bargains. The cake decorations next to it includes 5 different toppings. The green one is gorgeous! It looks like glitter :) They were from B&M Bargains.



These tubes of cake decorations are so cute with the santa & elf cartoon designs. The middle tube is filled with little white & red candy canes. They are also from Home Bargains. I love all the Christmassy things you can buy there! On the right side of the photo, you can see some little cake toppers. The pack from B&M Bargains contains penguins, snowmen and more. 


Ta-Dah! Here are our finished cupcakes I decided to pour a mixture of all the cake toppings into a bowl and dip the cupcakes in to cover them because trying to sprinkle the decorations on top was messy; they went everywhere! I think they look really festive and cute, and my family loved them. 

Thanks for reading! Tomorrow I'll be doing some more festive baking.

 

Have you done any festive baking this year? If so, please link me :) I'd love to have a read. 



 



 


Share:

2 comments

  1. These look amazing!! I want to make these! I love the little candy cane sprinkles, they look fantastic xx

    Sophie Elizabeth
    www.popcornandglitter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou :) They are great decorations, right? B&M Bargains has some great stuff for cake making at this time of year! Have a go at making them :) They are really easy x

      Delete

Blog Design Created by pipdig