Sunday 16 October 2016

Vampire Movies You Should Seriously Watch This Halloween | Blogtober

I have had a fascination with vampires for as long as I can remember. I have always been drawn to mythological creatures and with a love for all things dark and horror-related, it was no wonder that I found the legend of vampires so alluring and interesting. When I was younger, I would watch any vampire movie I could find, some were great, many were cheesy, but there have been several that I really enjoyed. These movies stand out to me as being awesome movies with fantastic storylines, making it to my top five favourite vampire movies and I wanted to recommend them to you all for today's blogtober post. Halloween is a great excuse to watch some spooky and gory thrillers! I hope you enjoy reading :) 



 The Lost Boys (1987) 

This movie is actually one of my favourite movies of all time! I absolutely love it, and not just because Kiefer Sutherland is in it, haha! (I've had a crush on him literally all my life). It's just one of those fantastic 80's classics mixed with horror and comedy. The movie is about two teenage brothers who move with their mother to a new town, which they soon discover is home to a group of vampires! As the teenagers try to settle in and make friends, they get caught up in all the trouble that's going on in their new home. I'd tell you more but I don't want to spoil it for you. Basically, if you love leather-clad men with motorbikes and gorgeous 80's hairstyles as much as I do, then you'll enjoy this movie! 



Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)

Dracula (1992) is the perfect mix of horror and history. It's a romantic horror, an adaptation from the classic novel by Bram Stoker. It's set in the 1890's and tells the story of a young solicitor who takes on a mysterious and strange new client who is setting up estate in London, Count Dracula from Transylvania. Little does he know what he's getting himself into and how much he'll have to fight to save everything he holds dear, as Count Dracula takes a liking to his fiance and is convinced that she is the reincarnation of his beloved wife. The movie stars some great actors and actresses, including Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder, and is a fantastic movie with a great story. It was one of the first horror movies that I ever watched and will always be a firm favourite. 


Interview with the Vampire (1994) 

This is another movie thats historically based and as a history nerd, I can't help but love these movies! It's like a period drama with a horror spin, which is pretty much all I want in a movie! Interview with the Vampire is an adaptation of one of The Vampire Chronicles novels by Anne Rice, and the movie begins with us meeting Louis (played by Brad Pitt) who is being interviewed by a reporter after claiming to be a vampire. We are taken back to 1790's Louisiana, where Louis is a wealthy young man, owner of a plantation, who has lost his passion for life after the death of his family. We learn about the day that Louis' life changes forever when he mets a vampire called Lestat (played by Tom Cruise) who is looking for someone to turn, someone to be his companion. The movie takes us on a journey with Louis, revealing the story of his life after the day he became a vampire. In my opinion, it's just a fantastic, compelling tale and I can't recommend it enough.



Queen of the Damned (2002)

This is another movie adaptation inspired by one of Anne Rice's 'The Vampire Chronicles' novels. It focuses on the vampire Lestat, who we were introduced to in Interview with the Vampire (although he's now played by a different actor), who wakes from years of 'hibernation' and fully embaces his new surroundings. He becomes a famous rock star, publically declaring that he is a vampire, which makes the rest of vampirekind angry with him for exposing them to danger. Plus, an ancient goddess-like Queen of the Vampires is awoken and wants to take over the world. I won't say anymore because I don't want to give too much of the story away. It's a less popular movie, compared to Interview with the Vampire but I still enjoy it and you might too. If you give it a watch, let me know what you think. 



and finally, Underworld (2003) 

Underworld tells the story of the secret world of modern vampires who have all the best weaponry and technology at their disposal. Due to the quarrels of their ancestors with werewolves/lycans, the vampire coverns have made it their mission to wipe out lycans from the world. The story follows Selene, a vampire who's job it is to hunt and destroy lycans, she is a 'death dealer'. Selene is played by the actress, Kate Beckinsale (who is forever my #WCW in this movie) and is such a badass character. I love her! The vampires are hunting a guy called Michael who is thought to be a descendant of an ancient family who have a special, rare bloodline and so the vampires and lycans alike want to capture him to experiment on him. Kate is sent to capture Michael but soon the pair become close, and she decides to help him. It's an action-packed horror movie, and it's just brillant. Underworld is now a movie series, including three other movies, Underworld: Evolution (2006), Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (2009) and Underworld: Awakening (2012). I think they are all fabulous! 





So, there's all of my recommendations for awesome vampire movies that you seriously need to get watched this October. Writing today's post has totally made me want to have a vampire movie marathon on the night before Halloween, since the big day is already reserved for watching all of my favourite horror movies back-to-back and devouring ALL of the Halloween goodies! What are you gonna do on Halloween Day? 

Thankyou for reading!

 

Are you a fan of vampire movies, or of vampires in general?
What's your favourite vampire story or movie? I'd love some more recommendations!

I'd love for you to follow me on social media :)


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig