Saturday 24 October 2015

What I've been watching | October Edition


I've decided to start another monthly post on my blog telling you all about any tv shows or movies I've watched each month that I've found particularly interesting, educational or I've just really enjoyed watching it! I spend a lot of my time watching tv shows and movies online and catch-up TV on my phone so I'd probably consider it as a kind of hobby. I have to warn you that there may be little **spoilers** in these posts if you haven't seen any of the shows/movies I'm discussing, but I'll make sure I don't mention any major events or storylines. Anyhow, I hope you all enjoy this post. 


  Awkward S05
 
I really enjoyed this show when I first started watching it because it was different from other teen comedies I'd watched & I thought the characters were funny, realistic and really relatable. It's a show about a teenager girl who is described as an 'outcast' who's searching for her identity. She also writes a blog! Something happens (I won't spoil it by telling you what) which causes her to have a minor accident which makes everyone think that she has tried to commit suicide. The show features other sensitive issues such as bullying, relationships, heartbreak, sexuality and much more. I wasn't so much of a fan as I watched each next season but I was too invested in the storyline of the characters that I had to keep watching. Now that I'm well into season 5, I just hoping for good things to happen for Jenna (the lead character). 

  ♥ American Horror Story  
 
I'm seriously behind when it comes to American Horror Story, considering it was first aired in 2011 and I've only just started watching it this month. I hadn't heard about it until my 2nd year of uni and not many of my friends were fans so I didn't really know what it was about. I added it to my 'to watch' list (yes, I have a very lengthy to watch list!) and after reading some stuff online about how excited everyone was for Lady Gaga to be appearing in the new S05, I decided it was time to get it watched! & I absolutely LOVE it! I've only been watching it over the last 2 weeks and I'm already onto S03. I was a little confused when the story changed for S02 since I had loved the initial season’s storyline and characters so much, especially Tate, even though I had a love/hate opinion when it came to him. Now that I'm on S03, I have gathered that the theme/story of each season is going to be different (sorry for the spoiler for those who haven't watched it yet!)  and even though I still prefer the contents of S01 and want to know what happens next, I'm enjoying the change and it's showing me how versatile the actors are. 10/10 for this series & I cannot wait to watch more!


The Tale of Princess Kaguya
 
I am a huge fan of the Japanese animation film company, Studio Ghibli. I love all of their movies, with my favourite being Howl’s Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke and My Neighbour Totoro. Who else loves Studio Ghibli? If so, what’s your favourite movie? I had yet to watch one of their newest productions, the tale of princess Kaguya so I decided this month it was about time I did. The animation was different from other Ghibli movies I’ve seen but it was still amazing nonetheless. They always pay such attention to detail when it comes to their nature and animals, and that’s one of the reasons I adore their movies. They always look so realistic and focus on little elements that other animation companies seem to miss.It had a very beautiful story, which at first reminded me a little of Thumbelina. It was like a fairytale and as I was watching it, I was thinking that it seemed like something from a myth/legend which I found out is true. It’s based on a Japanese folklore tale called ‘The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter’. The movie did not end how I thought it would and it made me cry (though most things do to be honest!) but I will say no more. I recommend this movie to everyone who loves animation movies! It's so cute and lovely! 


MasterChef Australia S07
 
I really enjoy cooking shows like MasterChef and now that I’ve been watching it for a few years, I much prefer the Australia version to the British one, which I don’t watch anymore. I love everything about the Australia show: the judges, the challenges, the guest chefs and just the whole set-up of the show. I find cooking shows very educational when it comes to learning about new foods, and this is helpful because I’m a really fussy eater and watching shows like these encourages me to try new things. I love mystery box challenges; they are my favourite because I love watching the contestants come up with ideas for the perfect dish. I am also fascinated with the level of skill and creativity of the contestants, especially when it comes to the presentation of their dishes. This year so far the contestant I want to win is Georgia Barnes. If you watch it, who do you want to win? 


Downton Abbey
 
Currently in England, every Sunday on ITV there’s an episode of Downton Abbey on and it is unfortunately, the 6th and final season *cries* I’ve really enjoyed watching Downton Abbey and I’ll be a little sad when it’s over, especially since there will no longer be a Christmas episode! As I’ve said before I’m abit of a history nerd and if I didn’t want to work with animals, my 2nd choice degree subject would have been history-related, so I’m a lover of period dramas which makes Downton Abbey perfect for me. It was interesting to watch something set in War time Britain because I’ve not watched too many movies/shows set in this period. I’m hoping that nothing drastic or horrible happens to any of the characters and I hope there’s a lovely ending in store for everyone.


Channel 4 Documentaries
 
I do love watching channel 4 documentaries and next to facebook & instagram, 4od is probably one of the most used apps on my iPhone. I like the multitude of different topics produced by Channel 4 and this month the most interesting I’ve watched are ‘Girls to Men’ and ‘My Transgender Summer Camp’. I think it’s really important for topics like this to be shown to the general public so they can gain an understanding of what it means to be transgender, and I feel that educating people this way will contribute towards ending the bullying and hate crime committed towards transgender people. Although, I was already fairly knowledgeable about the topics discussed in the show as I have friends who have and currently are transitioning and I’ve read some articles about the summer camp in America, it was still educational and I recommend that you watch the documentaries if you would like to learn more about the experiences of both transgender children and adults. 
 
That’s it for this month... I’ve watched some other shows but this post would be huge if I discussed every single one. Comment if you’ve watched or are watching any of the shows/movies I’ve mentioned here and let me know what you think. Also, I need some recommendations to add to my 'to watch' list, so any suggestions will be super appreciated :)

Thankyou for reading!
 
 
What has everyone else been watching lately? 

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig