Wednesday 2 December 2015

What I've been watching | November Edition

Yayy! It's the start of December and so begins the countdown to Christmas! I'm so excited! I can't wait to put the decorations up, wrap all the presents for my friends & family and do some festive activities. I'm a few days behind on my blog schedule, oops! So finally, here is my 'What I've been watching' post for November. Just a reminder... there may be little **spoilers** but I'll make sure not don't mention any major details about the TV shows and movies I've watched. Enjoy!

 God Help The Girl

I've had this movie on my 'to watch' list for ages now! I enjoy watching movies that were originally shown at the Sundance Film Festival and when I noticed that Emily Browning played the main character, I was even more intrigued as I think she's a great actress. The movie, which is defined as a musical drama, is interesting as the characters randomly burst into song. I'm a big fan of musicals and although God Help The Girl was not like a  classic musical, it was nice to watch something different. The storyline follows the stages of recovery of a young girl with anorexia and depression, and shows how unpredictable mental health can be. This is the first movie I've seen that addresses anorexia and gives the audience a glimpse into the life of someone struggling with this condition. I enjoyed the ending of the movie because it wasn't one of the typical almost cheesy kind of endings that I usually see, but I will say no more :) 


 The Last Kingdom

After watching and loving the History Channel series 'Vikings', I was looking forward to seeing another historical drama set around the same time. The Last Kingdom is set in 9th Century AD England when the Anglo-Saxons were at war with invading Vikings. I love history so this show is right up my street & I've enjoyed watching it... especially with all the hot Viking warriors! *insert wink emoji* I'm really enjoying the storyline, especially that of the lead character Uhtred. It's interesting to see his struggles as he is torn between his English heritage and his Viking 'upbringing'. I can't wait to see what happens in the future and what path he chooses. I'll stop before I end up revealing any spoilers haha If you like 'Vikings', then I recommend watching this. 


 Perfume: A Story of a Murderer

I really liked this movie and I've definitely been encouraged to read the book by Patrick Suskind. I've never watched anything with a similar story to this before, it's quite unique and kept me very interested throughout the entire movie. Perfume: A Story of a Murderer is set in 18th century France and is a mixture of history and thriller (it is defined as a fantasy thriller). It was a movie about a man with an extraordinary talent and how it manifested into an obsession, which eventually lead to his downfall. I was not expecting the ending to go the way it did and I like when movies surprise me like this. An awesome thing about this movie is that Alan Rickman is in it, which made me very happy! 

 Crimson Peak

 Mia Wasikowska is one of my favourite actresses... She's been fantastic in every movie I've seen her in. My favourites so far are Jane Eyre & Alice In Wonderland. I love period dramas and she always does such a perfect job in playing characters in these movies! As soon as I saw the trailer for Crimson Peak and knew she was in it, I couldn't wait to see the movie. I found out that the director was Guillermo del Toro which also made me excited to see the movie, because he was the writer & director of Pan's Labyrinth which is one of my favourite thrillers and so creepy. I was curious about what creepy elements he'd include in Crimson Peak. I wasn't disappointed; there were lots of creepy ghostly scenes. 

Tut

Tut is a three part drama about the life of the Ancient Egyptian Pharoh, Tutankhamen. I love this era of history so much! I was slightly obsessed with Ancient Egyptians when I was around 8-9 years old... I spent hours & hours filling 2 of those 200-page lined notepads with all sorts of information about them and kept it in a big folder, and I would collect anything related to the Egyptians. Over 10 years later, I'm still a massive lover of all things Ancient Egyptian themed and so when I saw an advert about this new drama series, it didn't take me long to watch it. I had a good old binge watch of all the episodes that day :) It was great to see a dramatised interpretation of the people discovered and events deciphered by archaeologists, and a series like this allows the audience to relate to historical characters and their lives. Although the series was fun to watch, there were lots of litte details that I think could have been improved to make it more accurate but that's the history nerd in me talking :D 


Dr G. Medical Examiner

One of the benefits of moving back home after graduating from university is that I can now watch so many different TV channels. At uni, I didn't have a TV and the only channels that I had regular access to were BBC iplayer & 4oD. I'd watch my favourite TV series such as Game of Thrones, Outlander & Vikings online as well as movies and documentaries but because I didn't watch other channels, I was unaware of any new shows. I also didn't get to watch the TV shows I used to watch before I moved to uni in 2012, one of which was Dr. G Medical Examiner. I forgot how much I enjoyed watching this show! It's about a medical examiner called Dr Jan Garavaglia who carries out autopsies to determine the cause of death in many different cases, and it's really interesting to learn about diseases and human anatomy. I'm really emotional so the description about the person that Dr. G will be examining on the episode usually makes me tear up haha but it's a great show, and I recommend it to any of my readers that enjoy medical shows. 


Impractical Jokers 

This is my new favourite show at the moment! It's a comedy show that features four friends in the US that challenge each other to do ridiculous, embarrassing but hilarious tasks in public places or interacting with the general public. I haven't laughed so much at a TV show in ages! Watching an episode of Impractical Jokers really cheers me up when I'm very a bad day or the weather is miserable outside and I feel gloomy. There are hidden cameras following the friends as they carry out tasks that they are instructed to via an earpiece and it's fantastic to see the reactions of the general public! It's always great to see how daring the guys are.. the majority of the time they do what they are told to by their friends and they don't even look embarrassed! Also, they all have different personalities & you get to learn more about them the more episodes you watch. I love it!

Thanks for reading everyone!

 
Which TV shows or movies did you watch last month?  
 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig